fbpx

5 Cleaning Products You Should Never Use Around Your Pets

5 Cleaning Products You Should Never Use Around Your Pets


As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the dangers of certain cleaning products. Some cleaners can be harmful (and even deadly) to pets if ingested. In this blog post, we will discuss five cleaning products that you should never use around your pets!

It’s crucial to choose pet-friendly cleaning products whenever you’re cleaning your home. There are many safe and effective options available on the market today, so there’s no need to risk your pet’s health by using harsh chemicals.

We’ll provide a few recommendations for safe and effective pet-friendly cleaners later in this post, but first, let’s take a closer look at some of the dangers associated with using certain cleaners around pets.

Bleach

Bleach is one of those cleaning products that even folks with a more laid back attitude to cleaning tend to keep in the house. However, the high chlorine content in bleach means that it can be incredibly harmful to your dog if they get too close to it or ingest it.

Your pup’s extremely sensitive sense of smell also means that they will find the potent scent of bleach incredibly irritating on their nose and throat, and it could even lead to breathing problems if they are exposed to it for too long.

Anxious Dog? 5 Easy Enrichment Acti... x
Anxious Dog? 5 Easy Enrichment Activities To Calm Your Dog

To keep your dog safe, Sean McCormack, Head Vet at Tails.com recommends that “if you have used bleach for cleaning in the house, make sure to rinse the area down thoroughly with water, then allow the area to completely dry before letting your pet near it.

“Not every household stain will require bleach to clean it. As well as looking into what pet-friendly cleaning products there are on the market, you may also consider using natural cleaning situations such as baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice to tackle stains whilst limiting the presence of potentially unsafe chemicals in your home”.

Air Fresheners

Products such as air and carpet fresheners can be harmful to your dog, as most of them contain a chemical called phthalates. While this chemical does help to eliminate odours from your home, it can make your pet fall ill if they inhale it.

“If your home is in need of a freshening up, make sure that your pet is out of the room when you spray things like air fresheners and allow five minutes to let the air settle before letting your pet back in. Alternatively, see if any household odours can be naturally eliminated simply by leaving a window open for a couple of hours. This will ensure that your pet is not breathing in anything that they shouldn’t be” said Sean.

Disinfectants

Be wary of a chemical called benzalkonium chloride, which is a common ingredient in several disinfectants including household bathroom and kitchen surface sprays.

In small amounts, this chemical is relatively safe, but repeated use of any disinfectants containing benzalkonium chloride can cause this strong chemical to linger, which can potentially cause irritation on your dog’s paws, eyes and nose.

“Naturally disinfectants do more good than harm as they help to eliminate nasty bacteria and viruses from our home. Just bear in mind that some disinfectants are designed to be diluted with water to make them less harmful and longer-lasting, so follow any labelled instructions accordingly. Also make sure that any cleaned areas have completely dried before allowing your dog near it, as this will reduce the likelihood of irritation”.

Ammonia

A surprisingly large number of cleaning products including oven and floor cleaners and multi-surface sprays all contain ammonia.

While ammonia is very effective at removing tough stains, it is also an extremely toxic chemical to our furry friends and can cause severe levels of irritation to their skin, eyes and nose if they get too close to it.

Sean advises, “It is worth considering what other all-natural cleaning products there are on the market. While these products can be slightly more expensive, the peace of mind in knowing that your dog is safe from harm while you’re cleaning will be worth the extra pennies.

“Ulcers or sores on either your dog’s skin, paws, mouth or tongue can be a tell-tale sign that your dog has licked or stepped on a cleaning product that they should not have. If you spot an ulcer, or if your dog’s skin looks generally sore, seek immediate help from your vet”.

Laundry detergents

Laundry detergents, or washing powder, can be harmful to our pooches as many of them contain ionic surfactants. When this substance combines with water it is perfect for cleaning our clothes, but should even a small amount of it be ingested by a dog, it can cause them to become seriously ill.

You may also find ionic and anionic surfactants in products like hand soap, shampoo and dishwasher tablets, so be sure to read the labels of whatever cleaning products you bring into your home.

“Dogs are naturally curious and like to use their mouth to explore things. Therefore, you should always keep your detergents and any other cleaning products, in a securely locked cupboard or in a high place that your dog cannot reach.

“If your dog has ingested any of these products, perhaps while your back was turned, the first sign you should look out for is an upset stomach, which your dog may express through vomiting, diarrhoea, frequent drooling and being put off their food. If they display any of these symptoms, seek veterinary attention immediately”.

 Don’t forget jewelry / silver polish (or other tarnish removing chemicals) can be dangerous too

Lenora Strohm, City & Shore Canine Club

Pet-Safe Cleaning Products

Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:

In summary

As a pet owner, it is important to be aware of the dangers that certain household cleaning products can pose to our furry friends. Some of the most harmful products include disinfectants containing benzalkonium chloride, ammonia and laundry detergents containing ionic surfactants. It is important to always read the labels of any cleaning products before bringing them into your home, and to keep them in a securely locked cupboard or in a high place that your dog cannot reach. If your dog has ingested any of these products, be sure to look out for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea and being put off their food, and seek veterinary attention immediately if any of these are displayed.

5 Cleaning Products You Should Never Use Around Your Pets Click To Tweet
  • Chippin Dog Food & Dog Treats: Reviewed

    chippin pet review

    Did you know that industrial livestock farming contributes about 15 percent of Greenhouse Gas emissions? But the human appetite for animal products is not the only contributor to this environmental threat. Our furry companions also contribute to the global carbon dioxide levels. Studies indicate that pet food production accounts for …

    Read the full article >>>


  • International Pooper Scooper Week

    international pooper scooper week

    International Pooper Scooper Week was founded in 2008. It is a week-long event that is held annually in April. The purpose of this event is to educate pet owners about the importance of cleaning up after their pets.

    Read the full article >>>


  • Why Do Dogs Eat Their Own Poop? and how to stop them

    why do dogs eat their poop

    Dogs are known for their quirky and odd habits. One of the strangest is their propensity to eat their own poop and others. This revolting behavior can have a variety of causes, from nutritional deficiencies to psychological issues. Fortunately, there are ways to stop your dog from eating poop. Why …

    Read the full article >>>